Are you entering the 9th, 10th or 11th grade?
- Would you like to make new friends and be part of a group of like-minded teens concerned and interested in exploring some of the most critical environmental and social justice issues of the day?
- Would you like to learn from experts in the fields of public speaking and leadership development?
- Would you like to participate in meaningful community service projects throughout the greater Los Angeles area? And earn up to 50 hours of community service?
Would you like to gain more confidence in…
- Public speaking?
- Facilitating a discussion group?
- Designing and leading programs?
Then Sherut L’Olam (Service to the World) is the program for you!
About the program . . .
Sherut L’Olam, the Jewish Federation Teen Leadership Corps, is a dynamic leadership and advocacy program for 9th, 10th and 11th graders. Informed and inspired by Jewish tradition and ethics, Sherut L’Olam draws on leading environmental and social justice activists as well as experts in public speaking, teambuilding and communication. In addition to gaining a greater understanding of important issues of the day, Sheruters will develop the leadership and advocacy skills to teach and model what they have learned in a more confident and effective manner. Sherut L’Olam brings together teens from across Southern California: the South Bay, Westside, and the Conejo, San Fernando and Santa Clarita Valleys.
From October 2015 through May 2016, Sheruters spend three weekends at Shalom Institute, attend three special skill development and issue-oriented Sunday sessions, and engage in three community service activities. Sheruters also participate in Shalom Institute’s Tu B’Shvat Nature Fest and the Jewish World Watch “Walk to End Genocide.”
The application process and tuition…
After you submit your online application, and we receive your letter of recommendation, a phone interview will be arranged. You will be notified of your acceptance within two weeks of your interview. Up to 60 teens will be accepted into the 2015-16 Sherut L’Olam program. Tuition for the program is $895* and includes an orientation, three weekend retreats, training seminars and community service placement.
* Generous scholarships are available for this program. Please contact the Shalom Institute (email@example.com) and/or your sponsoring organization if you need assistance.
Sherut L’Olam is generously funded by the Jewish Federation of Los Angeles and administered by the Shalom Institute. Our program partners include BJE, BBYO, USY, JSU, Camp JCA Shalom, Camp Alonim, Jewish Federation Valley Alliance and The Westside Jewish Community Center.
For more information
email Arthur Pinchev, Sherut L’Olam Director: firstname.lastname@example.org